BOOST: Volunteer Family Mentors Needed
We are keen to support Connection Support’s programme “BOOST”. Boost provides support, motivation, encouragement and advice to parents as they take steps towards creating a more stable and positive environment in which their children can thrive. Connection Support are currently seeking Boost Family Mentors to help families achieve the parenting goals they have identified through an initial assessment with a Family and Volunteer Supervisor. Usually this would take place in person. However, in response to Covid-19 they are currently delivering all support over WhatsApp video calling.
Could you be a Boost Family Mentor?
- Do you have 3 hours a week to give to a family for a 4-6-month period?
- Do you have experience with children? This could be through work or volunteering, having younger siblings or raising your own children.
- Are you an empathetic, non-judgmental and friendly person, who can offer guidance in a non- patronizing and respectful way?
- Are you resilient to setbacks, and open to trying new ideas? Can you share that mindset with parents who need help to build their self-esteem?
If you can answer ‘yes’ to these questions, then Connection Support would love to hear from you!
Typical areas in which parents need support to achieve their goals are:
- Developing family routines, e.g., bedtime, morning, mealtimes.
- Setting boundaries around behaviour and effectively maintaining those boundaries.
- Developing a support network, contacting local baby/toddler groups or joining parenting classes.
- Developing the parents own self esteem.
Family Mentor Recruitment and Training
Family and Volunteer supervisors will always be on hand to support you as you become part of the volunteering family, where you will be making a real difference to the lives of parents and children in our communities. Following a show of interest to volunteer with Boost as a Family Mentor this is the typical process that will follow:
- You will be asked to complete a short application form, or you can send your cv if you prefer outlining your relevant experience in life or work.
- The volunteer recruitment team will arrange to speak with you over the phone and answer any questions you may have.
- An enhanced DBS check will be done for you.
- You provide two character references.
- You will complete 6-8 hours of online training over a 2-3 week period.
Upon letting Connection Support know your availability, they will match you with a family for 4-6 months, where you will provide weekly sessions with a commitment of 2-3 hours per week. They will ask that you record brief notes following any interactions with your family, this can be done from your smart phone using the Huddle app. As a volunteer, you will have access to Connection Support’s Volunteer Handbook and further training.
Connection Support are in need of volunteers to make a real impact on families around the community. We encourage you to apply if you feel that you may be a suitable Family Mentor as part of this programme. Please apply by visiting https://www.connectionsupport.org.uk/about-us/volunteer/, email email@example.com or phone 07999 118080.
You can also learn more about Connection Support’s projects by visiting their website.
The Clare Foundation,
Copyright © 2023 The Clare Foundation